Skip to main content

Pasta e Ceci (Pasta with Chickpeas)

Dscn5105_2

Like Pasta e Fagioli which is one of my favorite dishes, but obviously this has chickpeas, and it is blended, and well maybe not EXACTLY like Pasta e Fagioli, but let's say in the same Family, alright? I am not a big fan of the chickpea, BUT in this dish it is so damn good. Anytime I serve this, it is always well received. The kids, my father, even Karen was a fan and yes that is supposed to mean if she likes it most people will.

Pasta e Ceci (Pasta with Chickpeas)

serve 4.

  • 2 to 3 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 carrot, finely chopped
  • 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp. hot pepper flakes
  • 1 sprig rosemary or 1 tbsp. dried rosemary
  • 1-1/2 cups chickpeans (use canned chickpeas that have been drained and rinsed)
  • 2-1/2 cups chicken stock or water
  • 1 cup dried pasta (I like to use tubetti which is a tiny tubular pasta)
  • 3 tbsp. parsley, finely chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Parmigiano Reggiano to taste
  1. In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil with the onion, garlic, carrot, celery, hot pepper flakes and rosemary. Cook over very low heat until the vegetables are soft and translucent (about 10 to 15 minutes). Be careful not to burn the vegetables.
  2. Once the vegetables are soft, add the chickpeas and the chicken stock or water. Simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring often.
  3. Remove half the chickpeas and place in a bowl. Set aside.
  4. With an immersion blender or in a blender or food processor, process the liquid and chickpeas in the stockpot until you have a smooth and creamy mixture.
  5. Return the remaining chickpeas to the pot and add the pasta. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Let cook until the pasta is ready (about 10 minutes). If the soup gets too thick, add some water.
  7. Once the pasta is done, stir in the parsley and taste again for salt and pepper. Adjust the seasoning accordingly.
  8. Serve the pasta e ceci with lots of grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
  9. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Okay, so I made this last night, and WOW, was it HOT! I'll make it again, with less hot pepper flakes. Tony thought there was too much rosemary, but my son and his GF LOVED it.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Vix

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this last week and everyone loved it- I didn't think it was too hot-just right. Will definitely make this again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

QUICK & Easy Garlic Shrimp

Another easy shrimp recipe. It's actually a Rachel Ray recipe that I changed up a bit (am I the only one that really does not find her that cute and bubbly, but actually a bit irritating), ANYway, She calls it her 4 minute spicy garlic blah blah recipe. It's not spicy, I doubled the red pepper and still nada, she is obviously a wuss, but it's good and easy and I was looking for a recipe with ingredients I already had. I decided too give peace a chance, and try one of her recipes. You can find her original recipe here http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/4-minute-spicy-garlic-shrimp-recipe/index.html OR the better version below :) This is good as an appetizer, or as a main dish over pasta. Spicy Garlic Shrimp inspired by Rachel Ray Ingredients: 1 lb. large shrimp, deviened and shelled 1 1/2 Tbsp sesame or Olive oil 5 garlic cloves, minced or pressed 1 tsp red pepper flakes (I doubled the amount she had, but you can cut it in half if you are not hardcore like moi) ...

Banana Bread with Cinnamon Crumble Topping

I am not sure why I keep buying bananas because they keep sitting on my counter turning brown and then I have to find a new recipe to use with the bananas instead of throwing them away. The good thing is that most recipes call for ripe bananas and I have had really good luck with the recipes I have found. This one I found in Bon Appetit it is from a restaurant in Oakland, California by the name of Bakesale Betty and it is one of the best sellers. This bread got rave reviews from everyone and is definitely a keeper. I threw in a handful of walnuts just because, but you don't have to. This is a cross between banana bread and coffee cake. Ingredients 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour 1 cup p...

Delish Chicken Chili

We are a household of chili lovers. Derek typically makes the chili in the house, but when I came across Barefoot Contessa's Chicken Chili, I knew I had to try to make this one. I added some ingredients that I felt she had left out, like BEANS!!! Who doesn't add beans to chili? I also used San Marzano tomatoes because they are the tastiest little red beasts ever!!!!!!! Oh and I did not use ANY of the peppers, because I hate peppers, and refuse to eat them, and stomp my feet on the ground if they are in my food. So here you go....I will put into parenthesis what I added to the dish. Ingredients * 4 cups chopped yellow onions (3 onions) * 1/8 cup olive oil, plus extra * olive oil, for chicken * 1/8 cup minced garlic (2 cloves) * 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced * 2 yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced * 1 teaspoon chili powder * 1 teaspoon ground cumin * 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes * 1/4 teaspoon ca...