Skip to main content

Funghi!!!

I LOVE me some Mushorooms!! Love Love Love!! and so when I saw gorgeous Shiitake mushrooms at Trader Joes... I said Oh Yeah Funghi Pasta for us. I know people either love em or hate em. I am in a crowd split in the middle with both lovers and haters, BUT the family loved this especially Owen who made me so proud because he too will be a Funghi lover.
There is nothing like Olive Oil for bringing out the woody accents from mushrooms, and that is how this recipe begins. Mind you this is SO very easy.

3/4 pound fresh white mushrooms
1/2 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 tablespoons chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
Salt
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons butter
Black Pepper ground Fresh
3/4 cup Freshly grated Parm-Reg cheese
1 pound of Pasta ( I use Whole Wheat Penne)

1. Rinse all mushrooms quickly, Cut white mushrooms if they are not sliced from cap to stem into thin lengthwise slices. Discard and detach the hard shiitake stems and slice the caps into thin crescents
2. Put Olive Oil and chopped onion in a saute pan, turn heat to medium high and cook the onion until it becomes translucent Add the garlic and continue cooking, just until garlic begins to release tis scent, without letting it become any darker than light gold.
3. Add the parsley, stir quickly once or twice, then add all the mushrooms. Add salt- do not be salt shy if you don't want a bland tasting sauce. Turn over all ingredients a dew times then cover the pan and turn the heat down to medium. Cook for about 10 minutes or more until the liquid that the mushrooms she has simmered away.
4. Add the cream, butter, and liberal grindings of pepper to the pan, raise the heat to maximum force and reduce the cream to half its original volume, stirring frequently.
5. Cook pasta and when tender but firm to the bite drain it and toss it immediately with the mushrooms sauce. Add the Parm, and serve at once.

Ahead of time note*** you can cook the sauce up to the end of step 3 severeal hours in advance.

Comments

  1. Uli, this was the ULTIMATE comfort food for a mushroom lovers broken heart-Donny's !! He wants to find someone who can cook like this and thought your blog was great. It was de-lish. Thanks again. Coleen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well tell Donny THANK YOU sweetheart!! When Derek met me I didn't cook much so my gift to him when he finds the girl of his dreams, will be cooking classes for her as many as she needs, of course I will need you there as company as well!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Flank Steak

Ok, I love me some flank steaks!!! The only thing one must understand is that this cut of meat is tougher than others, so really a perfect flank steak is cooked medium rare and sliced on a diagonal. Prepared this way, marinated, cooked quickly at high heat, thinly sliced, flank steak practically melts in your mouth. I put it over salad just to pretend we are healthy, but really it can be paired with anything. Enjoy INGREDIENTS Marinade Ingredients 1/3 cup olive oil 2 cloves garlic, minced 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar 1/3 cup soy sauce 1/4 cup honey 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper Other ingredients 2 pounds flank steak Kosher salt Freshly ground pepper 1 Score the surface of the steak with 1/4 inch deep knife cuts, about an inch apart, across the grain of the meat. Combine the marinade ingredients. Place steak and marinade ingredients in a large freezer bag. Coat the steak well with the marinade. Seal the bag and place in a bowl. Chill and marinate for at least 2 hours and up to ov...

Thanks to Amy....Pumpkin Pecan Swirl Bread

It's so nice to have friends around you that really love food, but more importantly know how much I love food because then you get to go on a playdate and have them give you food!!! This is how I discovered this heavenly bread. Amy walked up to me and the boys and hands me a few pieces of this obscenely delicious bread, I immediately shoved a piece down my throat and couldn't believe how delicious it was!!!! I kept telling her how good it was. She herself was impressed. I made the bread the next day, and everyone loves it!!! 2 loaves are almost gone. This recipe does make 2 loaves, and it is quite easy, the hardest part really is just waiting for it to rise, and even that is a pretty short wait time for bread. Please make this and ENJOY!!!! Pumpkin Pecan Swirl Bread Ingredients: 1 Tbsp active dry yeast 1/4 c. granulated sugar 1/2 c. warm water (115 degrees) 3/4 c. pumpkin puree 1 c. milk 3 Tbsp unsalted butter 1 tsp ground cinnamon 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg 1/8 tsp ground cloves 1 ...

Caramel Apple Cheesecake

I have been making this every year during this time of year, it's Paula Deen's recipe. It's perfect for Thanksgiving. It's an amazingly easy recipe, takes me less than 10 minutes to prepare and the baking time is what takes the longest. It is SO yummy, everyone LOVES it and always asks for it. I love Paula!!! Ingredients 1 (21-ounce) can apple pie filling 1 (9-inch) graham cracker crust 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature 1/2 cup sugar 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 eggs 1/4 cup caramel topping 12 pecan halves, plus 2 tablespoons chopped pecans Directions Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Reserve 3/4 cup of the apple filling; set aside. Spoon the remaining filling into the crust. Beat together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Add the eggs and mix well. Pour this over the pie filling. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the center of the cake is set. Cool to room temperature. Mix the reserved pie filling and caramel topping in a smal...