Skip to main content

My Spoiled Brother's Request

Hummus & Shawarma?
Richard just got back from Israel and one would assume that the first thing he would talk about were the historical sites he saw or the amazing experience of a
friday evening at the Kotel? NOOO, he came back talking about the amazing Hummus, Shawarma's and the hot girls. He also came back with pictures of the hummus? That is my family though we are all too consumed with food I guess. SO tonight is the Final Four and he was psyched to watch it, what can be better than homemade hummus and a twist on the Shawarma, (I do not have that cone that rotates and chars meat lets be serious here) I made my own version. This is so not typical game with a beer food, but it did go down well with a nice cold one. Rich was happy. He said both of these were fantastic, woohoo!!




HUMMUS

1 15oz can chickpea
1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste that you can find in organic section of supermarket or ethnic grocery stores)
juice from 1 squeezed lemon
1-2 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon cumin
salt
olive oil
parsley
paprika

Drain chickpeas and put them into a food processor, grind well.

Add the tahini and the rest of the ingredients and go on with the food processor until you get the desired texture. If the Humus is too thick, add some water.

Serve with some good olive oil, paprkia and chopped parsley.

Shawarma

Shawarma......first off what the hell is it? well here is the definition I found: Shawarma is a popular dish and fast-food staple across the Middle East. The classic shawarma combination is pita bread, hummus, tomato & cucumber, and the meat.

The meat is supposed to be put on a skewer and roasted blah blah, I don't have all the appropriate gadgets for this so he will have to deal with my own take on it. Here it is:

Uli's Shawarma

Wheat Flat Bread toasted with a layer of the hummus (above), tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, tabouli (love this word for the last 3 letters), thin strips of char grilled chicken. Wrap it up cut in half. Voila MY version of Rich's requested Shawarma.

Here is a picture of Rich in Israel doing what else but eating hummus, hahahaha.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

QUICK & Easy Garlic Shrimp

Another easy shrimp recipe. It's actually a Rachel Ray recipe that I changed up a bit (am I the only one that really does not find her that cute and bubbly, but actually a bit irritating), ANYway, She calls it her 4 minute spicy garlic blah blah recipe. It's not spicy, I doubled the red pepper and still nada, she is obviously a wuss, but it's good and easy and I was looking for a recipe with ingredients I already had. I decided too give peace a chance, and try one of her recipes. You can find her original recipe here http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/4-minute-spicy-garlic-shrimp-recipe/index.html OR the better version below :) This is good as an appetizer, or as a main dish over pasta. Spicy Garlic Shrimp inspired by Rachel Ray Ingredients: 1 lb. large shrimp, deviened and shelled 1 1/2 Tbsp sesame or Olive oil 5 garlic cloves, minced or pressed 1 tsp red pepper flakes (I doubled the amount she had, but you can cut it in half if you are not hardcore like moi) ...

Banana Bread with Cinnamon Crumble Topping

I am not sure why I keep buying bananas because they keep sitting on my counter turning brown and then I have to find a new recipe to use with the bananas instead of throwing them away. The good thing is that most recipes call for ripe bananas and I have had really good luck with the recipes I have found. This one I found in Bon Appetit it is from a restaurant in Oakland, California by the name of Bakesale Betty and it is one of the best sellers. This bread got rave reviews from everyone and is definitely a keeper. I threw in a handful of walnuts just because, but you don't have to. This is a cross between banana bread and coffee cake. Ingredients 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour 1 cup p...

Delish Chicken Chili

We are a household of chili lovers. Derek typically makes the chili in the house, but when I came across Barefoot Contessa's Chicken Chili, I knew I had to try to make this one. I added some ingredients that I felt she had left out, like BEANS!!! Who doesn't add beans to chili? I also used San Marzano tomatoes because they are the tastiest little red beasts ever!!!!!!! Oh and I did not use ANY of the peppers, because I hate peppers, and refuse to eat them, and stomp my feet on the ground if they are in my food. So here you go....I will put into parenthesis what I added to the dish. Ingredients * 4 cups chopped yellow onions (3 onions) * 1/8 cup olive oil, plus extra * olive oil, for chicken * 1/8 cup minced garlic (2 cloves) * 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced * 2 yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced * 1 teaspoon chili powder * 1 teaspoon ground cumin * 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes * 1/4 teaspoon ca...