Skip to main content

Banana Bread with Cinnamon Crumble Topping


I am not sure why I keep buying bananas because they keep sitting on my counter turning brown and then I have to find a new recipe to use with the bananas instead of throwing them away. The good thing is that most recipes call for ripe bananas and I have had really good luck with the recipes I have found.
This one I found in Bon Appetit it is from a restaurant in Oakland, California by the name of Bakesale Betty and it is one of the best sellers. This bread got rave reviews from everyone and is definitely a keeper. I threw in a handful of walnuts just because, but you don't have to.
This is a cross between banana bread and coffee cake.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar

Preparation

  • Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 9x5x3-inch metal baking pan. Whisk 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Whisk next 5 ingredients in large bowl until smooth. Add dry ingredients; stir to blend. Transfer batter to pan. Mix 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and brown sugar; sprinkle over batter.
  • Bake bread until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool bread in pan 30 minutes. Turn pan on its side; slide out bread, being careful not to dislodge topping. Turn bread right side up and cool completely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

QUICK & Easy Garlic Shrimp

Another easy shrimp recipe. It's actually a Rachel Ray recipe that I changed up a bit (am I the only one that really does not find her that cute and bubbly, but actually a bit irritating), ANYway, She calls it her 4 minute spicy garlic blah blah recipe. It's not spicy, I doubled the red pepper and still nada, she is obviously a wuss, but it's good and easy and I was looking for a recipe with ingredients I already had. I decided too give peace a chance, and try one of her recipes. You can find her original recipe here http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/4-minute-spicy-garlic-shrimp-recipe/index.html OR the better version below :) This is good as an appetizer, or as a main dish over pasta. Spicy Garlic Shrimp inspired by Rachel Ray Ingredients: 1 lb. large shrimp, deviened and shelled 1 1/2 Tbsp sesame or Olive oil 5 garlic cloves, minced or pressed 1 tsp red pepper flakes (I doubled the amount she had, but you can cut it in half if you are not hardcore like moi) ...

Delish Chicken Chili

We are a household of chili lovers. Derek typically makes the chili in the house, but when I came across Barefoot Contessa's Chicken Chili, I knew I had to try to make this one. I added some ingredients that I felt she had left out, like BEANS!!! Who doesn't add beans to chili? I also used San Marzano tomatoes because they are the tastiest little red beasts ever!!!!!!! Oh and I did not use ANY of the peppers, because I hate peppers, and refuse to eat them, and stomp my feet on the ground if they are in my food. So here you go....I will put into parenthesis what I added to the dish. Ingredients * 4 cups chopped yellow onions (3 onions) * 1/8 cup olive oil, plus extra * olive oil, for chicken * 1/8 cup minced garlic (2 cloves) * 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced * 2 yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced * 1 teaspoon chili powder * 1 teaspoon ground cumin * 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes * 1/4 teaspoon ca...