Skip to main content

Blueberry Olive Oil Cake



This recipe comes from Jamile Oliver's cookbook and is called Torta di Nada. I was intrigued by it since it uses Olive Oil and I love blueberries so we gave it a go! My dad loves these types of cakes it is a pound cake type consistency but I don't think it was sweet enough for me but I am a SWEET girl, hahaha. I did enjoy it and it is quite beautiful!!

Recipe: Adapetd from Jamie’s Italy
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder (This is the one I use all the time)
- A good pinch of sea salt
- Zest of 2 lemons, grated
- Zest of 2 oranges, grated
- 6 oz fresh black raspberries or blueberries or red sweet grapes such as Muscat or fragola
- A bit of butter to grease the pan

Preheat the oven to 350F. Generously butter a 9-inch pan and line the base with waxed paper. Set aside.
Either by hand or in a the bowl of stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whisk the eggs and sugar until thick and pale yellow, about 3 minutes, then add the butter, olive oil, milk, lemon and orange zest and vanilla. Mix well, then mix in the flour, baking powder and salt until everything is thoroughly blended. Set aside for 10 minutes for the flour to absorb the liquid.

Stir about a quarter of the berries into the batter, pour into your prepared cake pan, and scatter the rest over the top. Bake the cake for 45- 55 minutes, or until the top is a deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Let it cool on a wire rack in the pan for 10 minutes, then run a knife along the sides of the pan to turn it out.

The cake can be stored at room temperature, wrapped, for up to four days. It is even better on the following day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

QUICK & Easy Garlic Shrimp

Another easy shrimp recipe. It's actually a Rachel Ray recipe that I changed up a bit (am I the only one that really does not find her that cute and bubbly, but actually a bit irritating), ANYway, She calls it her 4 minute spicy garlic blah blah recipe. It's not spicy, I doubled the red pepper and still nada, she is obviously a wuss, but it's good and easy and I was looking for a recipe with ingredients I already had. I decided too give peace a chance, and try one of her recipes. You can find her original recipe here http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/4-minute-spicy-garlic-shrimp-recipe/index.html OR the better version below :) This is good as an appetizer, or as a main dish over pasta. Spicy Garlic Shrimp inspired by Rachel Ray Ingredients: 1 lb. large shrimp, deviened and shelled 1 1/2 Tbsp sesame or Olive oil 5 garlic cloves, minced or pressed 1 tsp red pepper flakes (I doubled the amount she had, but you can cut it in half if you are not hardcore like moi) ...

Banana Bread with Cinnamon Crumble Topping

I am not sure why I keep buying bananas because they keep sitting on my counter turning brown and then I have to find a new recipe to use with the bananas instead of throwing them away. The good thing is that most recipes call for ripe bananas and I have had really good luck with the recipes I have found. This one I found in Bon Appetit it is from a restaurant in Oakland, California by the name of Bakesale Betty and it is one of the best sellers. This bread got rave reviews from everyone and is definitely a keeper. I threw in a handful of walnuts just because, but you don't have to. This is a cross between banana bread and coffee cake. Ingredients 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour 1 cup p...

Delish Chicken Chili

We are a household of chili lovers. Derek typically makes the chili in the house, but when I came across Barefoot Contessa's Chicken Chili, I knew I had to try to make this one. I added some ingredients that I felt she had left out, like BEANS!!! Who doesn't add beans to chili? I also used San Marzano tomatoes because they are the tastiest little red beasts ever!!!!!!! Oh and I did not use ANY of the peppers, because I hate peppers, and refuse to eat them, and stomp my feet on the ground if they are in my food. So here you go....I will put into parenthesis what I added to the dish. Ingredients * 4 cups chopped yellow onions (3 onions) * 1/8 cup olive oil, plus extra * olive oil, for chicken * 1/8 cup minced garlic (2 cloves) * 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced * 2 yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced * 1 teaspoon chili powder * 1 teaspoon ground cumin * 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes * 1/4 teaspoon ca...