Skip to main content

40 cloves of garlic Chicken


That is not a mistake, and no I am not scared of Vampires, au contraire I love them ever since Twilight so don't let the amount of garlic scare you away. This produces a sweet mild garlic flavor which is perfectly balanced with the white wine and cognac which how can you resist?
I followed this recipe exactly exceptt for the whole chickens because I have issues with cutting up the whole chicken into pieces so I bought an equal amount of breast on the bone and legs so the dirty work was already done for me, yeah I'm a baby.
  • 3 whole heads garlic, about 40 cloves
  • 2 (3 1/2-pound) chickens, cut into eighths
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons good olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons Cognac, divided
  • 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
  • 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream

Directions

Separate the cloves of garlic and drop them into a pot of boiling water for 60 seconds. Drain the garlic and peel. Set aside.

Dry the chicken with paper towels. Season liberally with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat the butter and oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. In batches, saute the chicken in the fat, skin side down first, until nicely browned, about 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Turn with tongs or a spatula; you don't want to pierce the skin with a fork. If the fat is burning, turn the heat down to medium. When a batch is done, transfer it to a plate and continue to saute all the chicken in batches. Remove the last chicken to the plate and add all of the garlic to the pot. Lower the heat and saute for 5 to 10 minutes, turning often, until evenly browned. Add 2 tablespoons of the Cognac and the wine, return to a boil, and scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Return the chicken to the pot with the juices and sprinkle with the thyme leaves. Cover and simmer over the lowest heat for about 30 minutes, until all the chicken is done.

Remove the chicken to a platter and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of the sauce and the flour and then whisk it back into the sauce in the pot. Raise the heat, add the remaining tablespoon of Cognac and the cream, and boil for 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper, to taste; it should be very flavorful because chicken tends to be bland. Pour the sauce and the garlic over the chicken and serve hot.

Comments

  1. ok. ules. this one looks DAAAAALISH!!!! shame i am on a cranberry fat flush this week. looks yuuuum.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

QUICK & Easy Garlic Shrimp

Another easy shrimp recipe. It's actually a Rachel Ray recipe that I changed up a bit (am I the only one that really does not find her that cute and bubbly, but actually a bit irritating), ANYway, She calls it her 4 minute spicy garlic blah blah recipe. It's not spicy, I doubled the red pepper and still nada, she is obviously a wuss, but it's good and easy and I was looking for a recipe with ingredients I already had. I decided too give peace a chance, and try one of her recipes. You can find her original recipe here http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/4-minute-spicy-garlic-shrimp-recipe/index.html OR the better version below :) This is good as an appetizer, or as a main dish over pasta. Spicy Garlic Shrimp inspired by Rachel Ray Ingredients: 1 lb. large shrimp, deviened and shelled 1 1/2 Tbsp sesame or Olive oil 5 garlic cloves, minced or pressed 1 tsp red pepper flakes (I doubled the amount she had, but you can cut it in half if you are not hardcore like moi) ...

Banana Bread with Cinnamon Crumble Topping

I am not sure why I keep buying bananas because they keep sitting on my counter turning brown and then I have to find a new recipe to use with the bananas instead of throwing them away. The good thing is that most recipes call for ripe bananas and I have had really good luck with the recipes I have found. This one I found in Bon Appetit it is from a restaurant in Oakland, California by the name of Bakesale Betty and it is one of the best sellers. This bread got rave reviews from everyone and is definitely a keeper. I threw in a handful of walnuts just because, but you don't have to. This is a cross between banana bread and coffee cake. Ingredients 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour 1 cup p...

Delish Chicken Chili

We are a household of chili lovers. Derek typically makes the chili in the house, but when I came across Barefoot Contessa's Chicken Chili, I knew I had to try to make this one. I added some ingredients that I felt she had left out, like BEANS!!! Who doesn't add beans to chili? I also used San Marzano tomatoes because they are the tastiest little red beasts ever!!!!!!! Oh and I did not use ANY of the peppers, because I hate peppers, and refuse to eat them, and stomp my feet on the ground if they are in my food. So here you go....I will put into parenthesis what I added to the dish. Ingredients * 4 cups chopped yellow onions (3 onions) * 1/8 cup olive oil, plus extra * olive oil, for chicken * 1/8 cup minced garlic (2 cloves) * 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced * 2 yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced * 1 teaspoon chili powder * 1 teaspoon ground cumin * 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes * 1/4 teaspoon ca...