Skip to main content

It has been called THE best blueberry muffin EVER!! Oh Yeah.





Ok so maybe this title is a bit extreme because it was not said by a real food connoisseur but both my husband and my brother said it, and they have had their fill of blueberry muffins, so I took it and ran with it. ANYway.... we tend to go blueberry picking several times in the summer and this past weekend they were beautiful and ripe and the kids were poopin' blue for days (sorry I know but I had to go there). We collected about 12 pounds of blueberries and well we have been eating them A LOT but there comes a point when you need to start baking. My mother made 2 blueberry pies which were fantastic, I decided to make these. Derek has been chucking them into cereal. Not only are these fantastic berries delicious but the health benefits Fugghettaboutit. They are chock full of antioxidants “When it comes to brain protection, there's nothing quite like blueberries, according to Tufts neuroscientist James Joseph,”. “I call the blueberry the brain berry, says Joseph, who attributes the effects to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds.” A recent article on reversing memory loss noted “blueberries . . . had the strongest impact” in a study showing aging rodents behaved more like their younger counterparts. Here is a list of Blueberry Benifits:
  • improved vision
  • clearing arteries
  • more antioxidants for disease protection
  • strengthening blood vessels
  • enhanced memory
  • stopping urinary tract infections
  • reversing age-related physical and mental declines
  • promoting weight control.
So now after that whole Health Shpeal why don't you jump on the Blueberry Train and begin by trying these Amazing Muffins. Mmmmm.

Makes 8 muffins

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 cup fresh blueberries


DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture. Bake for 20-25 mintues until done.
Topping
2/3C brown sugar, 1/4C flour, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 2T butter. Use fork to mix together and sprinkle on muffins.

Comments

  1. Hey Uli- another great recipe-very similar to mine except I use 1/2 whole wheat flour, 1/2 all purpose flour. Sometimes I get crazy and use all whole wheat flour, but the guys "swear" they can tell the difference!!!! I pick tons of the healthy little berries and freeze them to use all winter in muffins, pies and pancakes. Thanks again. Coleen :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Caldo Verde (Portugese Kale Soup)

I don't have any sort of story behind this soup, except that I always fancied it. I believe I first experienced this soup while working at the hospital, and was brave enough to enter the cafeteria where my choice was this or a chicken noodle soup that had what appeared to be pink chicken, need I say more about what my choice was. After that I always had a soft spot for this soup, not only because it saved me from what could have been a delightful case of salmonella, but it was quite tasty. I still could not help but wonder what it was really supposed to taste like, because let's face it, the hospital cafeteria is not the best place to have a taste test. I decided to finally hunt down a recipe from John Villa. It's a versatile dish: Serve it as a one-course meal at lunch or as a light supper in the evening. What's crucial when preparing it is that the kale is cut into extremely fine slices; that's what creates the soup's distinctive

Pasta e Ceci (Pasta with Chickpeas)

Like Pasta e Fagioli which is one of my favorite dishes, but obviously this has chickpeas, and it is blended, and well maybe not EXACTLY like Pasta e Fagioli, but let's say in the same Family, alright? I am not a big fan of the chickpea, BUT in this dish it is so damn good. Anytime I serve this, it is always well received. The kids, my father, even Karen was a fan and yes that is supposed to mean if she likes it most people will. Pasta e Ceci (Pasta with Chickpeas) serve 4. 2 to 3 tbsp. olive oil 1 onion, finely chopped 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 carrot, finely chopped 1 celery stalk, finely chopped 1 tsp. hot pepper flakes 1 sprig rosemary or 1 tbsp. dried rosemary 1-1/2 cups chickpeans (use canned chickpeas that have been drained and rinsed) 2-1/2 cups chicken stock or water 1 cup dried pasta (I like to use tubetti which is a tiny tubular pasta) 3 tbsp. parsley, finely chopped salt and pepper to taste Parmigiano Reggiano to taste In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil with the