Skip to main content

Granola


I am not really a tree hugger making my own granola, BUT I did buy some the other day and looked at the label, and thought why are all these ingredients in something that is supposed to be au naturale? Well, I took care of that didn't I? I browsed the pantry and found a container of Organic rolled oats which I don't know why I even had because I am not one to stand over a pot of old fashioned oats for a half hour in the morning but I am glad I had them. Then, I grabbed the different nuts, at which point I wished I had some sort of sunflower or sesame seeds because that would be a great addition but I got over it. I also added the chocolate because as much as I would like to pretend that I can consume plain granola over plain yogurt and be satisfied ,I really can't, so with some dark chocolate I can now be happy. The great thing about making your own granola is you can add whatever you like!! If I had more ingredients in my pantry I would surely add pineapple, sunflower seeds and un sweetened coconut, but let me not wish for ingredients I do not have, but be thankful for the ones I do (it is a freaking recession ya know) and so here is a basic but yummy granola. I brought it into work today and Tracie approved it along with the men in my family. Enjoy!!

Ingredients:
2 cups rolled oats
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon vegetable or Canola oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup whole almonds
1/3 cup whole cashews & peanuts
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup dried cranberries

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, toss the oats with the cinnamon and salt.

In a medium bowl, stir together the oil, honey, brown sugar, and vanilla. Whisk until completely combined.

Pour the honey mixture over the oats mixture and use your hands to combine them: Gather up some of the mixture in each hand and make a fist. Repeat until all of the oats are coated with the honey mixture.

Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Spread it out evenly, but leave a few clumps here and there for texture.


Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and use a metal spatula to lift and flip the granola. Sprinkle the almonds over the granola and return the baking sheet to the oven..

Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven. Let cool completely. Sprinkle the raisins, chocolate or whatever dried fruit you have over the granola

and transfer it to an airtight container. Voila you are now a hippie.

Comments

  1. This sounds delicious. I have always wanted to make my own granola and everytime I am at the store I forget what goes in it. I'm going to print this out now and try it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Caldo Verde (Portugese Kale Soup)

I don't have any sort of story behind this soup, except that I always fancied it. I believe I first experienced this soup while working at the hospital, and was brave enough to enter the cafeteria where my choice was this or a chicken noodle soup that had what appeared to be pink chicken, need I say more about what my choice was. After that I always had a soft spot for this soup, not only because it saved me from what could have been a delightful case of salmonella, but it was quite tasty. I still could not help but wonder what it was really supposed to taste like, because let's face it, the hospital cafeteria is not the best place to have a taste test. I decided to finally hunt down a recipe from John Villa. It's a versatile dish: Serve it as a one-course meal at lunch or as a light supper in the evening. What's crucial when preparing it is that the kale is cut into extremely fine slices; that's what creates the soup's distinctive

Pasta e Ceci (Pasta with Chickpeas)

Like Pasta e Fagioli which is one of my favorite dishes, but obviously this has chickpeas, and it is blended, and well maybe not EXACTLY like Pasta e Fagioli, but let's say in the same Family, alright? I am not a big fan of the chickpea, BUT in this dish it is so damn good. Anytime I serve this, it is always well received. The kids, my father, even Karen was a fan and yes that is supposed to mean if she likes it most people will. Pasta e Ceci (Pasta with Chickpeas) serve 4. 2 to 3 tbsp. olive oil 1 onion, finely chopped 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 carrot, finely chopped 1 celery stalk, finely chopped 1 tsp. hot pepper flakes 1 sprig rosemary or 1 tbsp. dried rosemary 1-1/2 cups chickpeans (use canned chickpeas that have been drained and rinsed) 2-1/2 cups chicken stock or water 1 cup dried pasta (I like to use tubetti which is a tiny tubular pasta) 3 tbsp. parsley, finely chopped salt and pepper to taste Parmigiano Reggiano to taste In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil with the

It has been called THE best blueberry muffin EVER!! Oh Yeah.

Ok so maybe this title is a bit extreme because it was not said by a real food connoisseur but both my husband and my brother said it, and they have had their fill of blueberry muffins, so I took it and ran with it. ANYway.... we tend to go blueberry picking several times in the summer and this past weekend they were beautiful and ripe and the kids were poopin' blue for days (sorry I know but I had to go there). We collected about 12 pounds of blueberries and well we have been eating them A LOT but there comes a point when you need to start baking. My mother made 2 blueberry pies which were fantastic, I decided to make these. Derek has been chucking them into cereal. Not only are these fantastic berries delicious but the health benefits Fugghettaboutit. They are chock full of antioxidants “When it comes to brain protection, there's nothing quite like blueberries, according to Tufts neuroscientist James Joseph,”. “I call the blueberry the brain berry, says Joseph, who attributes